Surficial Clay Thickness Points [Indiana] Full Details
|Click on map to inspect values|
- Surficial Clay Thickness Points [Indiana]
- CLAY_ILITH_PTS_IN is a point shapefile that shows total thickness of clay, as derived from logs of water wells in the state of Indiana. (It presents the source data used to create a grid named "CLAY_ILITH_IN" in a shapefile format.) The data were obtained from the iLITH Database of the Indiana Geological Survey. The following explanation of the iLITH Database appears in Open-File Study 00-8 of the Indiana Geological Survey: "iLITH is a Microsoft Access database containing GIS capabilities that allows users to interact with a portion of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) Water-Well Record Database. iLITH differs from the IDNR database in that lithologic descriptions and drilling contractor names have been standardized, locational information for ~104,000 water-well logs has been verified, and the spatial information in the database has been standardized for use with USGS digital elevation data and US Census Bureau Tiger data. The iLITH graphical interface facilitates efficient interaction between the user and the database." Using Microsoft Access, queries were constructed that summed the total thickness of clay units for each well. Units with the following designations were included in the summation: "clay," "clay and gravel," "clay and sand," "clay and stone," "clay with gravel," "clay with gravel seams," "clay with sand," "clay with sand streaks," "mud," "mud and gravel," and "mud and sand." Some inconsistencies in the database were eliminated. The resulting table was then exported from Microsoft Access and imported into ESRI ArcView to construct a point shapefile.
- Indiana Geological Survey
- Resource Class:
- Datasets and Web services
- Resource Type:
- Vector data
- Temporal Coverage:
- Continually updated resource
- Date Issued:
- DATA DISCLAIMER This data set was compiled by Indiana University, Indiana Geological Survey, using data believed to be accurate; however, a degree of error is inherent in all data. This product is distributed "AS-IS" without warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to warranties of suitability of a particular purpose or use. No attempt has been made in either the designed format or production of these data to define the limits or jurisdiction of any federal, state, or local government. These data are intended for use only at the published scale or smaller and are for reference purposes only. They are not to be construed as a legal document or survey instrument. A detailed on-the-ground survey and historical analysis of a single site may differ from this data. It is requested that the Indiana Geological Survey be cited in any products generated from this data. The following source citation should be included: [CLAY_ILITH_PTS_IN: Total Thickness of Clay in Indiana, Derived from the iLITH Water-Well Database (Indiana Geological Survey, Point Shapefile)] WARRANTY Indiana University, Indiana Geological Survey warrants that the media on which this product is stored will be free from defect in materials and workmanship for ninety (90) days from the date of acquisition. If such a defect is found, return the media to Publication Sales, Indiana Geological Survey, 1001 E 10th St, Bloomington, Indiana 47405-1405, and it will be replaced free of charge. LIMITATION OF WARRANTIES AND LIABILITY Except for the expressed warranty above, the product is provided "AS IS", without any other warranties or conditions, expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, warranties for product quality, or suitability to a particular purpose or use. The risk or liability resulting from the use of this product is assumed by the user. Indiana University, Indiana Geological Survey shares no liability with product users indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, loss of revenue or profit, lost or damaged data or other commercial or economic loss. Indiana University, Indiana Geological Survey is not responsible for claims by a third party. The maximum aggregate liability to the original purchaser shall not exceed the amount paid by you for the product.
- Access Rights:
- Date Added: