Solid Waste Facilities (historic) [Ohio] Full Details
This dataset was automatically cataloged from the provider's ArcGIS Hub. In some cases, information shown here may be incorrect or out-of-date.
|Click on map to inspect values|
- Solid Waste Facilities (historic) [Ohio]
- The sites are primarily solid waste disposal sites, including municipal solid waste, industrial solid waste, residual solid waste, and construction and demolition debris. Some sites with hazardous waste are also included. The types of sites may include licensed landfills, landfills that existed prior to state regulatory programs, exempt waste sites, unauthorized dumps, open dumps, and disposal lagoons. Some sites in the database may have been partially or fully remediated and may no longer contain significant amounts of waste.The data are incomplete and are still in development. New locations will be added and existing locations may be corrected. This file does not include all sites regulated by Ohio EPA under other regulatory programs (e.g. there are many sites regulated under programs such as hazardous waste sites, surface water, "brownfields", etc. that are not included in this dataset).Data were developed from Ohio EPA archival files. The accuracy of the locations depends on the available information. Where possible, points were located on the actual waste unit, or within the tax parcel boundary where the waste was said to be located. Some points were located using coordinates or descriptive text in field notes, inspection reports, etc. In some cases, the best available information is the nearest intersection or an address. When possible the data were compared against local tax maps to improve the accuracy of the locations. Additional sources of information included but were not limited to newspaper archives, solid waste district plans, pollution inventories, historical societies, and local governments.The information used in this dataset come from files that date back to the late 1960s and may not represent the current site conditions. The data includes only that known to Ohio EPA's solid waste regulatory program and may not include sites that were under past authority of other regulatory agencies such as local health departments.
- Ohio EPA, Division of Materials and Waste Management
- GEOhio Spatial Data Discovery Portal
- Resource Class:
- Datasets and Web services
- Resource Type:
- Vector data
- Temporal Coverage:
- Continually updated resource
- Date Issued:
- The data are intended to be used as a general guideline for locating historical waste sites in an area of interest. Ideally these data would be used to help determine whether there may be cause for further investigation of a site area when the presence of waste or waste residuals on a site is of concern. Should a user determine that a site exists in their area of interest they should contact Ohio EPA to obtain the original file and for assistance in verifying the exact location of the site(s). The data are not intended for scientific or engineering purposes and are not recommended for such uses. Acknowledgement of the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, Division of Materials and Waste Management as a data source would be appreciated in products developed from these data, and such acknowledgement as is standard for citation purposes. Users of this data should be aware that inconsistencies and inaccuracies may exist if these data are compared to data from other time periods due to changes in methods of data collection and mapping.
- Access Rights:
- Date Added: