Base Flow of Michigan Streams [Michigan] Full Details
This dataset was automatically cataloged from the provider's ArcGIS Hub. In some cases, information shown here may be incorrect or out-of-date. Click the 'Visit Source' button to search for items on the original provider's website.
|Click on map to inspect values
- Base Flow of Michigan Streams [Michigan]
- This data set provides estimates of the groundwater contribution to stream flow, frequently referred to as base flow, in cubic feet per second. The baseflow of a stream or river is the amount of groundwater discharged from an aquifer to the watercourse. This discharge occurs year-round, and fluctuates seasonally depending on the level of the water in the aquifer. Baseflow is supplemented by direct runoff during and immediately after precipitation or melt events, resulting in peaks on a hydrograph showing stream flow through time. The process of dividing these peaks into base flow and runoff is called hydrograph separation. Hydrograph separations were completed for all USGS stream-flow gauging stations in Michigan that had more than 10 years of daily records. Sites that were clearly affected by upstream impoundments (lakes, dams) were excluded. No attempt was made to detect or correct for trends in the data. This may lead to some errors in the comparison of streams with data from different time periods if there is an underlying temporal trend in the data, but inclusion of all records in the analysis was necessary to increase the data pool and provide better spatial coverage. Watersheds were delineated for each of the 208 stream-flow gauging stations, and various characteristics of each watershed, such as topographic relief, surficial geology, land cover, growing degree days, annual and winter-season precipitation, and others were tabulated. Regression modeling, described in the Technical Report, was used to estimate the baseflow for each steam segment of the 1:100,000-scale National Hydrography Dataset.
- Michigan Dept. of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy
- State of Michigan Open Data Portal
- Resource Class:
- Datasets and Web services
- Resource Type:
- Vector data
- Temporal Coverage:
- Continually updated resource
- Date Issued:
- This application or dataset, along with any maps, data, content and other information contained within it and all output from the application (together the “Information”), is provided as a public service, and there are no restrictions on the use, reproduction, or distribution of the Information. It is your responsibility to use the Information for a legally permissible purpose. This Information is provided “AS IS” and on an “AS AVAILABLE” basis. The State of Michigan (“State”) makes no warranties, express or implied, regarding the accuracy, adequacy, reliability, timeliness, or completeness of this Information. THE STATE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS INFORMATION, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. THE STATE WILL NOT BE LIABLE, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR BY STATUTE OR OTHERWISE, FOR ANY CLAIM FOR CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION LOST PROFITS AND LOST BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES, RELATED TO THE ACCESS OR USE OF THIS INFORMATION. IN NO EVENT WILL THE STATE BE LIABLE FOR ANY AMOUNTS THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE ACCESS OR USE OF THIS INFORMATION, REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, OR BY STATUTE OR OTHERWISE. By accessing or using this Information, you agree that you will not make any claims against the State or any of its departments, divisions, officers, or employees related to your use of the Information. These terms are governed by and interpreted under the laws of the State of Michigan without regard to conflict of laws provisions. Nothing in these terms is meant to impact or replace any existing rights or licenses, such as copyright, trademark, or patent protections, in materials or content that may be located on the site or portal containing the Information.
- Access Rights:
- Date Added: