NJDEP Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB) Coastal Monitoring Sites in New Jersey [New Jersey] Full Details
This dataset was automatically cataloged from the provider's ArcGIS Hub. In some cases, information shown here may be incorrect or out-of-date.
|Click on map to inspect values|
- NJDEP Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB) Coastal Monitoring Sites in New Jersey [New Jersey]
- Toxins can affect both humans and animals by causing neurological impairment., gastrointestinal distress., respiratory irritation, and even death. To ensure that shellfish harvested from NJ marine waters are safe., the state is required to develop a Biotoxin Contingency Plan to remain in compliance with Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) National Shellfish Sanitation Program (NSSP). One program managed by BMWM to support the Biotoxin Contingency Plan is the Phytoplankton network. Throughout the years, there have been approximately 160 total stations with 58 of those 160 stations being currently active. Stations are sampled approximately 5 times a year. These samples are brought to the BMWM laboratory for phytoplankton species identification and chlorophyll 'a' analysis. The BMWM laboratory will specifically focus on identifying toxin producing and dominant species for each water sample. In addition, cell counts are performed to provide an indication if a potential algal bloom is present. If cell counts or species type indicate a possible bloom, BMWM staff will be strategically deployed to conduct additional sample monitoring to identify the extent of the bloom and whether conditions are improving over time. BMWMs Phytoplankton Monitoring Program is just one in several monitoring strategies (Aircraft Remote Sensing., Continuous Monitoring Buoys, Vibrio Control Plan) set up to support the bureau's core NSSP Program.
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP), Division of Water Monitoring, Standards and Pesticide Control, Bureau of Marine Water Monitoring (BMWM)
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection's (NJDEP) Bureau of GIS
- Resource Class:
- Datasets and Web services
- Resource Type:
- Vector data
- Temporal Coverage:
- Continually updated resource
- Date Issued:
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) Data Distribution Agreement. The data provided herein are distributed subject to the following conditions and restrictions: NJDEP assumes no responsibility to maintain them in any manner or form and disclaims any duty or obligation to either maintain availability of or to update the data. Terms of Agreement 1. All data is provided, as is, without any representation or warranty of any kind, implied, expressed or statutory including, but not limited to, the warranties of non-infringement of third party rights, title, merchantability or fitness for a particular use, freedom from computer virus nor are any such warranties to be implied with respect to the digital data layers furnished hereunder. User is responsible for understanding the accuracy limitations of all digital data layers provided herein, as documented in the accompanying cross-reference files (see SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION). Any reproduction or manipulation of the above data must ensure that the coordinate reference system remains intact. 2. Digital data received from the NJDEP may not be reproduced or redistributed without all the metadata provided. 3. Any maps, publications, reports, or other documents produced as a result of this project that utilize this digital data will credit the NJDEP's Geographic Information System (GIS) as the source of the data with the following credit/disclaimer: 'This (map/publication/report) was developed using New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection Geographic Information System digital data, but this secondary product has not been verified by NJDEP and is not state-authorized or endorsed.' 4. NJDEP makes no warranty that digital data are free of Copyright or Trademark claims or other restrictions or limitations on free use or display. Making a copy of this data may be subject to the copyright of trademark laws.
- Access Rights:
- Date Added: