Maryland Shoreline Changes - Anne Arundel 30 Years Shoreline Erosion Level [Maryland] Full Details
This dataset was automatically cataloged from the provider's ArcGIS Hub. In some cases, information shown here may be incorrect or out-of-date.
|Click on map to inspect values|
- Maryland Shoreline Changes - Anne Arundel 30 Years Shoreline Erosion Level [Maryland]
- To quantify shoreline rates of change (erosion or accretion), Maryland Geological Survey (MGS) used historical and recent shorelines spanning 1971-2010 as input into the Digital Shoreline Analysis System (DSAS) Version 4.3. DSAS, a computer program developed by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), determines linear rates of shoreline change along closely spaced, shore-normal transects. Based on DSAS output, MGS assigned generalized rate of change categories as attributes to a recent shoreline for Anne Arundel County. This recent shoreline consisted of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Continually Updated Shoreline Product (CUSP) digital shoreline currently available for Anne Arundel County; and 2) portions of the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (MD DNR) Critical Area Commission (CAC) digital shoreline for Anne Arundel County. Based on the results of an End Point Rate (EPR) analysis on the ca. 1970s shoreline and the ca. 2000/2010 shoreline (recent shoreline), MGS grouped the rate results into the following general categories: (a) No change (-0.01 to 0.01 feet/year), (b) Accretion (greater than 0.01 feet/year), (c) Slight erosion rate (0 to -2 feet/year), (d) Low erosion rate (-2 to -4 feet/year), (e) Moderate erosion rate (-4 to -8 ft/yr), (f) High erosion rate (greater than -8 feet/year), (g) Protected, (h) No data (insufficient shorelines to calculate 30-year EPR rate), (i) No data (no transects cast; unprotected or unknown shoreline condition), and (j) No data (rates not delivered; calculated rates suspect). The CUSP shoreline represents the shoreline position in Anne Arundel County between the years 2005-2010. The CAC shoreline represents the shoreline position in Anne Arundel County in 2007. In Anne Arundel County, the NOAA CUSP data set covered all shoreline in the county with the exception of the Patuxent River along the western county border. As such, MGS utilized the CAC shoreline data set in the Patuxent River area. To identify which shoreline source is responsible for a shoreline segment, view the "DSAS_SRC" attribute table field -- "CAC" indicates a shoreline sourced from MD DNR CAC data set; "NOAA CUSP" indicates a shoreline sourced from the NOAA CUSP data set. Negative rate of change values indicate erosion, and positive values indicate accretion. In general, MGS tried to attribute lengths of shoreline of at least 80 meters in length sharing similar rates of change.Funding for this data set was provided by two Projects of Special Merit (CZM # 14-14-1868 CZM 143 and CZM # 14-15-2005 CZM 143), funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and made available to MGS through the Department of Natural Resources (MD DNR) Chesapeake and Coastal Service (CCS). MGS wishes to thank the following project partners: 1) MD DNR CCS, Contact: Mr. Chris Cortina, Role: CCS Project Manager; 2) NOAA, Contact: Mr. Doug Graham, NOAA National Geodetic Survey, Role: Project partner & source of historical and recent shorelines; 3) MD DNR Critical Areas Commission (CAC), Contact: Ms. Lisa Hoerger, Role: Project partner & source of recent shorelines; 4) Eastern Shore Regional GIS Cooperative (ESRGC), Salisbury University, Contact: Ryan Mello, Role: Performing the critical area re-mapping for MD DNR CAC and supplying MGS with CAC shorelines; and 5) Ms. Lamere Hennesse, MGS Geologist, retired, Role: Project guidance & technical support.This is a MD iMAP hosted service. Find more information onhttps://imap.maryland.gov.Map Service Link:https://geodata.md.gov/imap/rest/services/Hydrology/MD_ShorelineChanges/MapServer/5
- Maryland iMap
- Resource Class:
- Datasets and Web services
- Resource Type:
- Vector data
- Temporal Coverage:
- Continually updated resource
- Date Issued:
- The Spatial Data, and the information therein, (collectively the "Data") is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either expressed, implied, or statutory. The user assumes the entire risk as to quality and performance of the Data. No guarantee of accuracy is granted, nor is any responsibility for reliance thereon assumed. In no event shall the State of Maryland be liable for direct, indirect, incidental, consequential or special damages of any kind. The State of Maryland does not accept liability for any damages or misrepresentation caused by inaccuracies in the Data or as a result to changes to the Data, nor is there responsibility assumed to maintain the Data in any manner or form. The Data can be freely distributed as long as the metadata entry is not modified or deleted. Any data derived from the Data must acknowledge the State of Maryland in the metadata.
- Access Rights:
- Date Added: